Pages

Saturday, January 14, 2012

"Cal Punk & Performance"

I was very fortunate to catch this incredible exhibition at Annie Warton Los Angeles just before it came down.
Annie is such a sweet woman. She let me stay late on the exhibition's final day and even offered me a glass of wine, which I gladly accepted.

This exhibition really resonated with me. Particularly when I came across this:


I guess you could say I was initially introduced to the San Francisco rock scene by the lead singer of The Lucky Stiffs. I had met Greg at a bar called Zeitgeist on my 21st birthday. He was there with a friend & I suppose you could say I caught his attention.
He introduced himself politely and when I told him it was my birthday, he proceeded to belt out a punky rendition of a Happy Birthday right there in front of everyone. It was adorable. I was love-struck...
And so began the first of MANY rock n' roll adventures in San Francisco.

Entitled "Cal Punk & Performance" the exhibition featured select works from "targetvideo77" a rich archive of rare punk rock performance footage by Joe Rees.  
The show was truly wonderfully curated. It was clean but raw at the same time. Very true to the punk sensibility.
Here are some shots from the exhibition: